5 Kasım 2011 Cumartesi

The Jukebox

Right, I promised a song list post; and here it comes. I was inspired to write this after watching Lise Live, my school's freelance-student-bands concert (Lise means high-school in Turkish.) Only a very small number of the thirteen (because I like the number thirteen.) tracks here were heard there for the first time by me, though. One or two were reminded to me in that same concert; and most are the stuff I somehow came across and am listening to on a daily basis for some reason or another nowadays. Some are obvious no-brainers and are possibly known by every single person in an ideal Earth, some might be considered a bit unheard of.

1) Hans Zimmer&Lisa Gerrard -- Now We Are Free (Gladiator soundtrack)

Lisa Gerrard is so cool that she sings in a language of her own invention.

2) Hans Zimmer -- A Small Measure of Peace (The Last Samurai soundtrack)

For when you need a small measure of peace. The entire The Last Samurai sountrack is impeccable, actually, like anything composed by Hans Zimmer pretty much always is.

3) Louis Armstrong -- What A Wonderful World

This is one of the no-brainers I mentioned above. Armstrong almost makes me believe in the wonderfulness of the world, even in the darkest of moods.

4) Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes --If You Don't Know Me By Now

Lise Live made me ashamed of not knowing this one until now.

5) Nilüfer -- Erkekler Ağlamaz

The two girls who sang this at Lise Live could be twin angels for all I care. I'll do a rare thing and give a direct youtube link; because they deserve it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSzmma22LpQ

6) Franz Ferdinand -- Take Me Out

Liked the band, always did, always will. I love how the song can be read in two different ways (confirmed by the band): It tells the story of a guy who makes that move even though he knows he'll never be able to take the girl out AND describes the inner world of Archduke Franz Ferdinand as he witnesses the death of his beloved life, himself about to die. The event is what started WW1.

7) Ludovico Einaudi -- Farewell to the Past

Ludovico Einaudi is genius. His genius is pure and beautiful and the world probably not be able to turn without it. Just listen the "Dr. Zhivago" soundtrack

9)The Mamas and the Papas -- Make Your Own Kind of Music

The anthem of the non-conformist ıf you ask me. You'll know this and it'll put a smile on your face if you once were a Lost geek.

10) Franz Ferdinand -- Ulysses

Well, I know I already gave you a Franz Ferdinand song that is a no-brainer; but this one has suck a nice kick, makes a bored person say "c'mon let's get high".

11) Sting -- Englishman in New York

I know, I know. But I bet you don't know who this song was written for. Listen to it again and start researching the life and the ideas of Quentin Crisp. You'll be grateful to me.

12) Tea Song of the Xiang River

Type this to youtube. Yes, it goes under the name of "Relaxation Music-Tea Song of the Xiang River" or something. Takes you away from all the stress like a raft on a river.

13) Leonard Cohen -- Do I Have to Dance All Night?

The last one comes from the wise old Canadian hero of mine. Unknown to all except the most ardent (or obsessive, depending on how you look at it) Leonard Cohen fans, this song is actually easy enough to find on youtube. Both studio and live versions are very sweet, do listen to the lyrics.

Good job, me. I hope you'll like some of this stuff, friends, and I am also open to suggestions. Another list next week!

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder